Core Differences

Do y'all know that feeling where you know you are supposed to be doing something because its the right thing to do (working out) but just cant find the motivation (because sitting on the couch is so much easier)?  ...Yeah, me neither...

Ok, that was a lie.  We have all been in that situation in some form.  With my new discipline and riding goals I decided that if I wanted to do this, I was going to really do this.  This meant relinquishing my 'riding is my exercise' philosophy that I have held till now.  If I wanted to be a good dressage rider I first needed to become a strong, fit human.  As it turns out I have been able to fake and get around having core strength until now.  There is no faking core strength in dressage, so off I go to the gym and I signed myself up for Pilates class.  I did the free intro, loved doing that, all pretty light.  The following week I went to my first real class.  Whole different story.  It was hard (in a good way) and I went home exhausted and had to lay down for an hour and a half before getting up to go take my riding lesson.  I was concerned that the next day I would be a cripple and unable to get myself out of bed.  Thankfully that fear was unrealized.

#goals to look like her when I workout!
During my lesson I had a big picture realization.  I asked some questions on the basics and how to break down a shoulder in, and haunches in, and half pass, and all these lateral movements that are new to me.  In the resulting conversation I realized that almost all of dressage, especially lateral movements, are based off the inside leg being the stabilizing force.  Want to do a shoulder in?  Bend the horse around your inside leg to create the 3 tracks of travel.  Want to do a haunches in?  Bend the horse around your inside leg with your outside leg asking the haunches to come around.  Want to do a half pass?  Bend the horse around your inside leg and ask for a haunches in on a diagonal.  Are you noticing a trend?

So, inside leg is the pillar that you build your lateral work around. (Note to self: spend your free rides making sure that your horse bends around your inside leg nicely!)  The big picture doesnt stop there.  As I worked on establishing a stabilized inside leg I was coupling it with getting my upper body square and stable and anchored (anchored does not mean heavy in the saddle).  I had a few moments of very correct and it finally dawned on me.  One of the most clear differences between Hunters and Dressage.  In the Hunters we expect the horse to be stabilized and to go around and do its job and take us with it as long as we give it good, non conflicting directions and aids.  The horse is the stabilized part of the equation.  In Dressage the rider is the stabilized one and we then ask the horses to meld and mold and work around us.  If you as a rider are not ready to own that you have to be the strongest part of the partnership, then maybe Dressage is not going to be for you...  This is a fundamental difference between the two disciplines.  One of the most clear differentiations that I have found so far.

Now its even more clear why taking my own fitness seriously in this is going to be critical if I want to be as good as I can be, whatever that level ends up being!  Back to the gym for me!
Laura Graves and Verdades
No fake core strength here!  From horse or rider!
Again #goals

Comments

Popular Posts