Saddle Revolution


Guys, revolution occurred on December 28th.  My new dressage saddle, the first saddle I have ever ordered specifically for me to fit me, finally arrived after waiting for what felt like ever!  My past two rides I had borrowed a saddle from my trainer that actually fit Tosh and I both fairly well.  I didnt realize how hard I had been working to learn dressage in a jumping saddle.  With the right equipment its quite a bit easier and I found myself to be a much better communicator with my horse, imagine that...
So here I am, brand new dressage saddle designed for me!  Guess where my next stop is?  If you guessed the barn you would be wrong!  The timing of the saddle arrival coincided with the arrival of temps where the high was in the 20s.  Call me a chicken but have you been able to do anything successfully athletic in those kinds of temps (bearing in mind that riding runs as a Summer Olympic sport)?  Yeah, didnt think so!  Down into the crawl space to pull out of storage a lovely saddle stand that my Dad and I made together from many years past.  The thing is big and still well built!
First Ride!

That was my first ride in my new saddle, on a stationary horse!  I felt very safe!  The great news is that it feels wonderful.  The bad news is that once I was sitting in it, Mom and I both decided that I was going to need the longer stirrup leathers, I do have quite a long leg.  Good news there is that the ones that are the right length also have a pretty detail on the end, winning!

Temperatures finally rose back above freezing and it was safer to go outside again.  Now if you guessed the first place I went was the barn to try my saddle, you would be right!  Tried on the saddle and started to get pads and girth figured out.  Sensitive horses require patience in figuring out all the right pieces!  Finally got things sorted and ordered.  I am so enjoying riding in my complete dressage tack now.  Time for some great strides forward!


Comments

Popular Posts